Friday, May 8, 2009

(Rat People Only!) How can I save my favorite girl's litter?!?

I know quite a bit from experience already but I've never had this problem before:
I have a 6-month-old female with very desireable genetic traits and a great personality, whom I wish to breed. Her first litter was destroyed either by her or by her female roommate who was also pregnant at the time (I had heard that leaving them together was a good thing, but apparently it can also be very bad). Now she is alone. I put her with the same male during her post-partum estrus since she had no babies to care for and she gave birth to her second litter stress-free, only 8 babies and for the first 2 days she took great care of them, but this morning of day 3 there is one gone. There is no way of escape and nowhere else for it to be, and no blood (added to the existing birth fluids). She had to have eaten it. I have a couple options here to save the rest. Should I:
Answers:
i think you should do this...this is what i would dooo...be carefull how much you touch them..she may not like that.make shure to keep an eye on her and give her attention.she may want alot of attention..n if all eles fails seperate them to save the babies..
should you:... what?
Make sure she is by herself and keep your hands out until they open their eyes.
I have had sereval rat litters and if you touch them alot or get to close and the mom isn't comfortable with it then she will eat them. I know it's tempting but no touching the babies.
I would say A because when I tried to foster rats to another mother it didn't work to well and sometimes they would be attacked, but if anything, not C, the survival rate for fostering baby rats, especially pinkies is low, I would leave them alone, but if it gets worse I would try fostering.
It is very common for rats and other rodents to eat their first litter. If she does get pregnant again, I would keep her seperate from other adult rats, and just hope for the best.
I have had two female rats pregnant before at the same time, and they both gave birth on the same day. It was really cute, because they both took turns taking care of their litter, and the other rats litter also.
Make sure though, not to clean the cage until the new babies are at least a week old. That could stress the new mom out, causing her to eat her young. Only feed them, and give them water, and just wait.
this is what your should do make sure there is plenty of food that she likes and she will only eat the babies if she doesn't think it will make it. there is no telling if they are sick or not . the human eye can not see this only the mother will no. so maybe getting rid of that baby will keep the others to survive.. but there should be no worries. if there is plenty of food and water
don't touch them if u have that is y she eat it.
well she just might not know what to do i would leave them be with there mom and continue to moniter her also make sure she gets good nutricious treats because she is a nursing mother whatever you do dont touch the babys period if you want to leave them with Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment