Sunday, August 2, 2009

Any one else allergic to their pet Rat's urine ?

I have 2 beautiful boy pet rats %26 if they sort of dribble on the arm of my recliner, I wash it off right away %26 cover the chair arm with a towel but I got this weird itchy rash on one arm where I (did) rest it on the arm of the chair. I read on the Internet humans can be allergic to the protein in the rats urine. Has anyone else got this or have any info on it ? Thanks !
Yes, I have been to the dermatoligist %26 he has no idea what I'm talking about %26 the prescriptions he has given me (3 of them) does not work.
It is not anything to do with mites or ringworm either, he did a culture on the rash.
Answers:
acutally its pretty comman, it doesnt happen to me, i have 2 boys rats too , ones hairless and they are the sweetest boys,
rats are one of the cleanest animals, and actually dont have that many diseases like people think, that just think they are nasty because they live in sewers, when your done handling your rats clean the spot where they peed and avoid it for a while, and wash you hands after if they peed in your hands, and you should be fine,
ive had ringworm twice and i dont think it has anything to do with the rats
hope i helped
You are disgusting. I hope I never visit your house. You do understand that Rats are vermin, and a carrier of many infections diseases, including the plague.
I threw up a little in my mouth when you said "... sort of dribble on the arm recliner." ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!
I have pet rats too, and I have not experienced any allergic reactions from contact with them, but it doesn't surprise me that this is possible. I would recommend wearing long sleeves and maybe even gloves when you play with your rats and definitely when you clean their cage. How old are they? I know that once rats become accustomed to people they learn to do their business in their cage. Mine hardly ever have accidents when being handled. I'm sure you love your pets, but if this problem is extremely bothersome to you, you may want to consider making your next pet of a different species.
I also want to say that Daredevil's answer to your honest question was very rude and uncalled for. Rats are very affectionate creatures that enjoy human interaction and make excellent pets. All small animals are susceptible to certain diseases, but when properly taken care of, rats live clean and healthy lives. I'd rather have a rat than a dog that could carry fleas into my home or be infected with worms and rabies that they could transmit to other animals and humans.
its funny that you should post this question because i had the same question!
i have 7 girl rats and the other day i was changing their cages and my step son broke out in the same rash that you're describing now.
i asked in the yahoo groups that i'm apart of about how to deal with this and they had a few answers that i'll pass along.
they told me to make sure my step son wears long sleeves when handling my rats and to wash whatever exposed skin with anti-bacterial soap. i just make him have a shower. it was also suggested to give my rats a bath once a week or wipe their little feet off with a cloth.
a number of anti-allergy medicines were also recommended.
now if your having this reaction when you hold your boys, i suggest when you clean their cages that you wear long sleeved clothing and a pair of rubber/latex gloves because their bedding will have more urine on it and you'll probably have the same reaction.
hammocks, old towels or whatever you use in your cages should be changed every day to reduce your allergy to the urine.
i know somewhere in this link theres something about human allergies to rats as well.
hope this information is helpful to you.
I ACCIDENTALLY gave that looser a thumbs up. it was not what i meant to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment