Sunday, August 2, 2009

Anybody know any tricks to keep a single guinea pig happy and healthy?

I had another question I asked for pretty much the same thing but do to my bad phrasing i got a lot of answers telling me about about a different subject .
Now i am home a lot of the time and will have time to give a pet the attention it deserves. I have a Hamster who is past the two year mark and is unfortunately on her way out. but if I get the guinea pig (I don't have it yet) before my hamster dies i could put there cages beside each other so they could "talk". I live in a rural area so i could take it with me when I go for my daily walks and such because we have no neighborhood dogs or cats. Though my family has three cats and a dog and for now a hamster too (see why I can only get one?) The cats are trained to stay AWAY from my pets, the cat's don't really like me anyway especially since they've been banned from my room for all the years I've had hamsters. Any games or toys or tricks that are good would be enormous help! Also any tips for starting out would be immensely helpful
Answers:
You should take her/him out every day for cuddles, if you could do this where most of the family is so that she can get used to the family it would be good. For example in front of the tv when everyone is watching.
Floor time should be done every day for as long as possible, especially considering you are only able to get 1. This should be done in a piggy safe room, for at least 1 hour. You will need to pick up any cables, block off any unwanted areas and pick up just about everything of the floor.
You should also attempt to get the biggest cage possible. It is said that 7.5sq ft is a good size for 1 guinea pig but if you could get a bigger cage it would be even better. This way you put lot's of things in the cage so that your piggy will not become lonely. A cubes and coroplast cage is cheap, effective, big, easy to clean, modify and build. It is built to be used inside and does not have a roof so you will have to watch out for your cats. I would also reccommend that you get another (a slightly smaller cage) cage that has a roof, this could be like your guinea pigs day cage and could be placed out amongst the traffic of your house. I don't know, it was just an idea. Being amongst the traffic of my house usually makes my guinea pigs feel safer and they just generally enjoy it more.
Toys can be made from home using things like paper bags, plain cardboard boxes and 4 inch diameter PVC pipes. There are heaps of toy ideas on the following site:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm...
If you want to know anything else let me know.
Good Luck!!
i used to own a hamster and they never squeek unless they are hurt so i dont think they would talk. also hamsters are nocturnal and guinea pigs are not so that wouldnt work. I'm getting a guinea pig too. im only allowed to have one so im going to let it settle in and once it has been there for a few months im goning to ask my parents if i can get it a friend (sooner if it seems lonly). maby u should get one now and then consider getting it a friend later on. also please adopt those guinea pigs really need u. good luck with ur new pet!
ps im sorry to hear about ur hamster.
I had my guinea pig for six years and i had got her when she was one and I basically just took her out everyday and changed the cage once a week. Also, you should have an outdoor area that has a lot of timothy hay. They love to bury themselves into it. It actually seems that it's good for them to be exposed to dogs and cats as long as they have a spot to hide where they can't get in. In fact, we recently got a new kitten and it loved to go into the cage with the guinea pig and would just watch it. But, if you do take my advice, and you introduce them, watch them because every pet is different and it may be that way for your animals. Hope it helps! Alli P.S. If you have any more questions just ask!
Now I don't know all that much about guinea pig.But I do know what rodents loooooooove to do they love to :
chew, crawl through tunnels, eat yummy treats, and play with there owner or as i like to say adopted mom or dad. So i would recomend getting some chew toys and some really good treats and some healthy treats and a harness to go on walks and play alot with you guinea pig hope that help out a bunch!!
Hey You,
I always reccommend two or more guinea pigs, but if you are equipped to give it all the attention it needs and deserves, then one will be just fine.
Keep in mind that guinea pigs require lots of space. Buy a cage pretty close to the minimum of 7.5 sq. feet. If you cannot afford, or you don't have room, for a cage that big, try to get as near that dimension as possible.
Be ready to give it plenty of little toys, something to chew on. Remember that the balls that rats and hamsters love to play in, are dangerous for a guinea pig, as are cage wheels. Guinea Pig backs aren't designed to bend like that.
I think walks are a good idea, but I would think twice about leashes because if something is around, your pig will be gone before you can blink an eye...try instead, a baby sling so you can keep your pig secure by your chest.
Also, keep in mind that guinea pigs cannot cool themselves down as other animals do. It will not tolerate direct sunlight either indoors or out, and the temperature range should stay between 65-75 degrees. Anything above 78 degrees can cause a heatstroke.

No comments:

Post a Comment