Sunday, August 2, 2009

Aquarium for my robo dwarf hamster?

I am planning on using an aqarium to put my robo dwarf hamster in. Because i already have one, so it's cheaper. Where can i find a screen top to close it?
Some people say it's fine to keep hamsters in an aquarium but i also heard there's not good ventilation.
Answers:
I personally feel quite the opposite to the poster above about using aquariums for dwarf hamsters. I currently have 5 Roborovski's and keep them in aquariums and have done for a few years with no problems.
The observation about ventilation is a valid one, however as these little guys produce very little in the way of ammonia it's not as much as a problem keeping on top of the cleaning as it would be on species which produce quite a fair amount of ammonia and have sensitive respiratory systems such as rats.
The beauty of it is too is that you can produce an environment for them which is more like a natural environment instead of keeping them in a plastic or wire cage which is to be honest, quite boring for the hamster because they cannot burrow or exercise all of their behaviours (it's the same with gerbils too).
I bed my aquariums down with at least 8 inches of substrate and "bulk" it so that the hamsters can create their own burrow systems. Again this gives the hamster something very natural and something which couldn't be created in a wire cage - it also makes an unusual and attractive display in your house!
I made my own tops for mine using wire aviary mesh and a wooden frame and made it to size, however if you've got a standard size aquarium you could try asking some of the manufacturers who make mesh lids if they may have one that fits - there is a company called Perfecto who makes a range of glass tanks with mesh fitting lids and also makes them seperately so they may be able to help.
Hope this helps :)
I have 2 dwarf hamsters and I keep them both in aquariums. I do not keep a top on the aquarium so it is perfect ventilation. the only reason I leave it off is they are very short. If you think your hamsters can get out you can get an aquarium top at the pet store.
Unless you plan on cleaning it VERY regularly (like 2x a week) I would recommend not using an aquarium. They can get very stinky very fast. And if you think the smell is bad for you, imagine how bad it is for the little guy. You can find really cheap cages at places like Wal-Mart, or even E-Bay (just make sure it is new, cause otherwise it might be chewed or otherwise damaged and your hamster might escape).

No comments:

Post a Comment