Sunday, August 2, 2009

Any tips for getting my gerbils to like me?

I got them a few months ago, and they just don't seem to like being held. They squirm and oush to get out. When I bought them, I was told to hold them right away when I got home, which I thought was wrong because they may have been stressed out. So, now how can I improve my relationship with my gerbils?
ps. I have 2 boys. Alfie and Gilbert
Answers:
On the contrary, male gerbils fight less than females. You can look up many cases where an owner of female gerbils has left for some groceries or whatnot, and come back to find one or more of their gerbils dead. Females seem to be the more aggressive.
Males will squabble with each other, but a few hours of separation will make them lonely for each other and ready to be friends again. I've not seen this behavior until they are getting old (2 years or more).
If your gerbils don't like to be cuddled that's normal. Gerbils are highly active, and unless they are old and rickety(I have 2 like that) they will not want to sit still anywhere for long. If you place your hand palm up and flat in the cage, with a small treat for each, they will get over their fear and skittishness of your hand quickly.
Also, since they don't like to be cuddled and restrained, a good way to get them to enjoy your presence is to let them crawl on your shirt and back, once you and they are confident enough to allow this. Smarter gerbils will learn to crawl to your shoulder on command(usually a certain sound, I say "Up,up,up!")
Lastly, while gaining their trust, talk nicely to them, and try to interact with them around the same time everyday. You may have to wake them up at first, but as they grow to like you more, they will be awake and waiting for daily interaction and treats. I chose my time of interaction to be right when I get off work at night. It is very fun to open my apartment door and have 4 gerbils pawing and jumping at their tanks for me to take them out!
First off, picking them up straight off and forcing them to be held will just stress them out, so forget that :)
Try offering them small pieces of food, cereal or little bits of fruit and vegetables, and just holding your hand very still in their tank. They will run and hide at first, but will learn you aren't a threat to them and will eventually (You have to be patient, but it pays off) investigate your hand and sniff around it. Just let them explore at their own pace and become slowly comfortable with your voice talking to them and your hand inside their area. Unfortunately gerbils are quite hard, but my old boy used to let me handle him and have little cuddles.
And watch the boys carefully, boy geribls don't get on very well together and can fight over territory and seriously injure or even kill each other :( If they start to show any signs of agression I would seperate them straight away.
Good luck with your boys, hope you get them tame soon! :)
i don't think 2 boys like sharing. just try to be as kind and loving to them as you can with out holding them. They'll let you hold them when they're ready.
Hang out with them! Talk to them (don't worry you WONT sound crazy). Allow them to eat treats out of your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment