Sunday, August 2, 2009

Anyone reckon there's a chance my male gerb will accept his son?

I separated the parents about a week before the birth. If there's a male baby i would like to put it in the same cage as its father. I held the babies up to the bars and he was very interested. He was sniffing them and he put his little paw on them, without scratching them. But I am pretty sure he won't accept a baby. Is there anyone out there who knows better than me on this one?
Answers:
Most male animals won't accept young, they will try to kill them. Keep them apart till the young one is big enough to defend itsself.
Sometimes father gerbils and sons will fight for dominance. We
did that with our hamsters and the son bit the dad so bad he died. I would NOT try it .
I'm not sure about gerbils, but with dwarf hamsters, the dad will usually accept the pup IF the pup is young, like no more than a month old, but don't introduce them when the pup is older as 2 older males WILL usually fight. Hamsters won't hurt a baby, but I'm not sure if it is the same with gerbils.
Good luck. :)
If he has been taken away then theres not much chance im affraid they will constantely fight..

No comments:

Post a Comment