Saturday, May 22, 2010

Are cotton rats good pets?

http://nhnm.unm.edu/kids/images/species/...
I find them incredibly cute and it looks really nice.
Are they available in pet stores? If not where can I get one?
Answers:
I've never seen one, even in exotic shops, but that would be the place to look.
You need to find some that have been hand raised for your best chance to have a pet that you can handle.
I'm pretty sure you also would need a permit, since they are considered wild animals, not domesticated pets ( same are most squirrels, possoms and racoons )
Which will cost a pretty penny.
I would seggest finding a wildlife rescue group in your area and talk to them about it to find out the exacts on cotton rats. See if it's legal and find out what you need to do to keep one.
They are not going to be your average rodent, they will take a lot of work and space. So if you're not looking into getting a rat that is going to take a lot of time, money, work and patients, I suggest getting a fancy rat instead...
I hope this helps...GOOD LUCK!!
I have heard of them but i have never seen them but i dont think you can boy them a a regular pet store you might have to search in the phone book for exotic pet stores maybe or go on yahoo search or google maybe try them and see how they work.
They are wild and haven't been properly domesticated im afraid...Of course very few people have kept them as pets, but they are unhandleable and I haven't heard of them being good pets ever.
If you want a pet that looks like that, there are always syrian hamsters which tame quite easily and are as cute (If not cuter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment