Monday, May 24, 2010

Are hamsters and gerbils glorified rats?


Answers:
YES, i totally hate them. its soooo weird ppl hate rats and mice but they like hamsters. they are the same thing except hamsters have more fur. its insane.
there cute and fluffy i love them
Yes. But like rats they bite and they smell and they're tricky. I hate small rodents like that. Hamsters can be cute but they're really small and annoying. Gerbils are hideous because they have tails. I think all rodents are gross. Except rabbits. They're ok.
A hamsters and gerbils can never compare to a rat.
Rats are MUCH smarter and cleaner than any of the other small rodents out there. THEY ARE SELF AWARE, which means they think and have feelings much like we do. They can be trained to use a litter box, come when they're called, and all sorts of other things. They DO require attention from you, however.
Rats are a social animal and require handling daily. This is especially true if you choose to have only one rat. If you have two or more, they socialize to each other and THEN you. As an example, my older rat tends to follow me around and want attention from me. I can rub her behind the ears and she won't move. In fact, she gets upset when I stop! The (now) middle rat socialized to the older one and then me because I was working long hours when I got her. Although the middle rat isn't afraid of me, she won't hold still when I pet her and gingerly accepts treats from me. I got another girlie rat the other day and I'm socializing her by carrying her around in my hoodie and offering her cheerios. The shop I got her from was going out of business, and I think I see why. This new rat hasn't been handled at all by humans, so she's very shy.
When picking a rat, its best to choose one that comes over to you or expresses interest in you. I've always had the best luck when I "squeek" at the tank through my lips/teeth. I pick the one that jumps up and hangs upside down from the mesh. You could also put your hand in the tank and see which one comes over to check you out. You may also notice something like a bloody nose, as I did when I got my girl the other day. Rats, when stressed or ill, can seep a red mucus through their nose or eyes. This can give you an idea of how the store has been treating their animals and you may decide to go somewhere else.
On cleanliness: their cage needs cleaned at LEAST once a week (twice or more is preferable, would YOU want to walk around in your own urine and poo? I think not...). They can be bathed at most once every two weeks (dry skin results if more frequently) with baby shampoo. I find that females tend to be less musky than males.
My boyfriend had never had a rat until I moved in with him. He says they're better than ferrets. Just as smart and they stink way less. The worst part of owning a rat is the realization that they're only with you for 4-5 years. =(
a hamster looks nothing like either of these other rodents.

No comments:

Post a Comment