Monday, May 24, 2010

Are my gerbils trying to kill each other?

they are brothers. and when i take them out to play one gets on its back and the other one hovers over the other and it looks like the one on top is trying to suffocate the bottom one like their kissing. they have been with each other since birth and they are 6 weeks old. are they fighting or playing??
Answers:
Looks as normal gerbil playing and grooming. My gerbils do this too.
Does it look like this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=tzv1kcmifme...
Prolly playing.
Sounds like playing or grooming.
If one bites the other hard enough to make him bleed, they are fighting.
At this point, they are just trying to sort out who is the boss.
I wouldn't worry.
this means they are fighting. male gerbils are territorial. having 2 males in the same cage is not a good idea.one could kill the other.try separating them in different cages. they will be much happier that way.
Do not worry, they are just grooming each other. They will do this very often. It is perfectly natural. I have two gerbils, and they do that all the time. They have never bleed. They should be fine.
Please email me and tell me if my answer helped you! THANKS!
Brothers? You need to seperate them.
I didn`t think any hamsters or gerbils were supposed to be put together, even if they are family, because just like cats, they don`t care who is bro/sis and whose not.
They're being aggressive because the one gerbil has your scent and is now different. You'll have to watch them carefully as this can be a problem with males, especially if their cage is too small and they become territorial. Three males should be kept in at least a 20 gallon long aquarium. Is one gerbil instigating the problem? If so, you'll probably have to separate him. Several years ago I kept 3 brothers together and when they were about a year old one started becoming aggressive and he eventually killed one of his brothers. Then I separated the remaining two.

No comments:

Post a Comment