Saturday, May 22, 2010

Are guinea pigs good pets to have explain your ansewer please?

my daddy doesnt really like animals and i already have a gerbil but i want to get a guinea pig but i don't want to get a pet that's gonna be messy hard to clean after and cost to much
***~~~~~~EXPERTS ANSEWERS ONLY ~~~~~~~~***
Answers:
Space, time, money for food and vet bills all need to be thought about before getting a guinea pig.
Pet store cages are wayy to small for any guinea pig. A C%26C cage is easy to make, cheaper, and much bigger and better gor your pig. www.guineapigcages.com has instructions on making your own or ordering a premade one. DO NOT use cedar chips for bedding like someone previously suggested. They are very harmful to your gp. GuineaLynx has bedding ideas.
Diet is very important: Quality pellets (no extra colorful bit or seeds) are essential. Oxbow is a good brand pellet. At least a cup of fresh veggies every day. Unlimited timothy hay 24/7. Vitmain c supplements. http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html.... has more diet details.
* Vitman C should not be put in the water. It weakens in water and you can't measure how much the guinea pig gets a day. Use vit.C drops or chewable tablets.
Guinea pigs need daily floor/exercise time in a safe place. At least an hour a day is best. Since GP are social animals, it's best to have 2 so that they will have company all the time. Be sure they are the same sex though. Pregnancies are very dangerous for piggies.
Also, please consider adopting your pig instead of buying one. There are sooooo many great, healthy guinea pigs that need homes in shelters and rescues all over the country. Pets stores usually sell unhealthy pigs that have been poorly taken care of. Petfinder.com will help you find a pig in your area.
Guinea pigs r OK but they can b pretty noisy. Some
of them bite and they dont have a terribly bad price.
i suggest not getting 1 if yr a light sleeper!! lol
I have had guinea pigs before, I loved them but they need a lot of attention %26 can be hard to care for. I payed $25 for one (who died a month later) the other my Mom gave me. I had a very nice caged for my piggy I payed $60 for it. I followed the care guide word for word! I didn't use cedar bedding, I gave my piggy vitamin C drops, gave him timothy hay, I petted it every day (which by the way they really need attention)
My second piggy died from depression when my Dad was in the hospital for a week (I didn't give piggy any loving for a week all he got was just food,water %26 timothy hay.)
Thats when I decided that guinea pigs are not for me.
(Note: I was 20 when I had my guinea pig problems)
Here are some sites I found for you %26 your Daddy to look over, I hope these site will help to answer your questions.
Care guide
http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/guineas/...
Your new Cavy (guinea Pig) care guide
http://www.cavymadness.com/carenewcavy.p...
Here is a list is questions %26 answers about Guinea Pigs
http://www.cavymadness.com/faq.html...
Hope this helps
I had a guinea pig for 4 1/2 years. They are great pets, they are a little messy but not too bad, they're not very expensive. They recognize you and they love to be held and played with. I think they are great pets!
Yes they are good pets to have. They are odourless, don't bite and love cuddles. Before getting one you need to do your research as:
1. They prefer to be in pairs
2. 1 guinea pig needs a cage of about 7.5sq ft whilst 2 piggys need about 10.5sq ft
3. Guinea pigs need a good plain pellet and hay, with fresh produce twice a day
4. They can not make their own vitamin c so you have to provide it for them, this can be done through tablet supplement, drop form of through the different fruit and vegetables that you give them
5. Guinea pig vet bills cost more then your average vet because they need to go to an exotic vet or cavvy savvy vet.
6. If you use the correct bedding you will only have to clean out their cage every 5 days.
7. They require at least 1 hour of floor time a day.
Guinea pigs are great pets but you really need to do your research first.
At Pet Smart Guinea Pigs cost around $30.
They tend to be noisy but the only reason they would sqeak is to talk to you.
I'm 13 and studying to be a vet. I've also had personal experience

No comments:

Post a Comment