Monday, May 24, 2010

Are my Guinea Pigs Gay?

Ok, I apologise for the title. I recently bought 2 male Guinea Pigs and both seem to like eachother. What was really weird was that whenever I open their little house ( lol they have a house in their MASSIVE cage) and one of my boars were on top of the other ( creepy huh!). I only recently read that 2 males would fight, but they seem to get along really well. I don't really know their history but I do know they probally met eachother when they were babies. Oh yes, both boars are 3 months old. Please help!
Answers:
Although it would *seem* that way, they're not gay. The majority of the time they are doing this as a way to show dominance. Mounting is done by a lot of animals. However, during adolescence they will sometimes take out their raging hormones on the only available cagemate, girl or boy.
I have two boars that have been doing this for a very long time. It started in adolescence %26 I just shrugged it off to them trying to work out who would be the dominant pig. However, they are well over a year old now %26 they *still* do this. Ok, here's your "ewwwww" factor: sometimes one of them gets, uh, *cough*...*ahem*."glued" by the other. They are the very best of buddies though. They play constantly %26 have no fighting issues. I have noticed lately though, the behavior has decreased to only *occasionally* and the "chasee" will try to duck or hide from the "chaser". Just ignore it unless it turns into fighting. It doesn't mean they're gay! LOL!
Have fun with your piggies!
Oh, as a side note, you may want to make SURE they are both boys. http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html...
Two questions: Are you sure they are both males? What do you mean by "on top of each other"? If you mean they are attempting to... how can I put this nicely.. mate with one another, it could be that one is attempting to show dominance over the other. It's very common in the animal kingdom to do that.
My spayed female dog does that to my male (unfixed) dog.. She's definitely not thinking she can mate with him that way, she's trying to show she's "top dog".
Animals aren't gay. I'm sorry.
YEP! I agree with ya' title - They're Gay Guineas!!
If you are certain they're both males, it is probably just a dominance thing, assuming what you're describing is mounting behavior and not just one guinea pigs sleeping on top of the other. It's vey common among animals, it's no limited to males, and it's perfectly natural. As long as you don't see any signs of agression, they're probably working out who's in charge peacefully.
I'd check to make sure they we're both actually males, becuase if they aren't both males you'll end up with baby pigs. Animals normally aren't gay, so I don't think so.
animals dont know the word gay.. the just try to have sex..
The other one might be a female!
I use to work at a pet store and one time we got a delivery of Guiana pigs . I checked them in and when I looked at their cage the older Guiana was mounting the new little ones!! Your guineas are just showing dominance don't worry be happy they are as long as there is no biteing or anything of that sort it should be fine
You need to get a female, there in that one stage to mate or there showing dominance over each other.And later they will start fighting, trust me.
I have 2 male guinea pigs too, and they do the same thing. I think that is how they show dominance, who is the more tougher pig. when mine were 3 months old they seemed to do that more, now they are almost a year old, and do that seldom. so i don't think it is very bad, unless they really start to hurt each other.
They are just working out their adolescence issues, give them time. Chances are very good that they will be best buddies when they reach adulthood. DO NOT get a female to put in with them, then they will really fight.

2 comments:

  1. Female guinea pigs mount each other as well. We've been dealing with this recently, and I agree, it's just about dominance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an older piggy, I think almost 8 months and a younger piggy about 2 months both males. The older one chases the younger one around everywhere and smells and licks the younger ones balls/butt. I just let them be. The younger one does sound like a turkey going gobble gobble all the time but he doesn't ever sound like he is in distress. I have a feeling the older one sometimes tries to get freaky with the little one cus the older one goes "rumble rumble" and shakes his him around the little one and then the little one gives a warning pounce. But I don't see anything wrong most of the time the are really nice about 99% that I notice except when the big one is annoying.

    ReplyDelete