Saturday, May 22, 2010

Are dwarf hamsters supposed to sleep a lot?

The dwarf hamster I just bought is 2 months old. She spends almost the whole day sleeping. Hamsters are supposed to sleep at day and be active at night. And this hamster spends the night sleeping too. Occasionally she wakes up to eat and go on the wheel a little but goes back to sleep shortly after that.
I'm worried. Is my hamster sick?
Answers:
No, not at all, your hamster is fine.
My hamster is a syrian, and we have had the gorgeous ginger fur ball 14 months. He sleeps all day, never uses his exercise wheel, and only gets up at night for food, drink, and a wee!!
Sometimes me and my husband will wake him at night and drag him out of his bed so he can get lots of exercise out of the cage, but I would not necissarily advice you to wake yours. Hamsters are VERY grumpy when woken and will deliver one hell of a bite, but fortunatly for us, Harry is incredibly laid back.
But despite the fact he is lazy, he is very healthy and happy. He has regular check ups at the vets and he gets a clean bill of health. So dont worry.
dont worrie am hamster slept all the time to so we took her to the vet he said that is was nothing unusual about it that it is actually very commen in hamsters!! hope l helped!
No, he's hibernating! I had a hamster as a child and at one point I thought it was dead, but it was only hibernating!
well your hamster is still young so it might just need to sleep like little kids have to. you may want to consult with a veterinarian if you really want to be sure but this is normal
If it's tail's wet I think that means it's sick.
Question Are dwarf hamsters supposed to sleep a lot?
The dwarf hamster I just bought is 2 months old. She spends almost the whole day sleeping. Hamsters are supposed to sleep at day and be active at night. And this hamster spends the night sleeping too. Occasionally she wakes up to eat and go on the wheel a little but goes back to sleep shortly after that.
I'm worried. Is my hamster sick?
No.
it's alright. if it's sick it should be dead by now. if it still can wake up and move around then don't worry.
is she a Chinese hamster?. if she is she should be quite active and up but if she is a different type then its pretty much normal. good luck x
My female Russian Dwarf Avril spends her days sleeping, and sleeps into the night. Then gets active on and off during the early morning, middle of the night. Its normal. She eats,drinks and excercises. She just is a sleeper. ^ ^

2 comments:

  1. omg, my princess is just like that!
    Then I shouldn't worry... but still, I will keep an eye on her, she used to wake up at 8:30-9:00 and we played, but since 2 days ago she changed her rutine and now wakes up at 5:00 p.m., do some little cleaning, eats, wheel and shortly later goes back to sleep. During morning I don't know because I'm out working ^^U but she use to sleep, only wakes up a lit when I get up to go to work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it just called my attention that she changed her routine and now sleeps more~ we're 1 month d a half before summer ends.

      Delete