Saturday, May 22, 2010

Are guinea pigs always skittish with people?

Do they ever chill out and get used to humans?
Answers:
I've had lots of guinea pigs and my experience with them is they do become tame with humans. I guess it really depends on if they have been handled by humans since they were babies. If you get one at a pet store or wherever, play with each one and ask someone to get one out for you. When you hold him/her they should be calm and just sit there and not fuss too much. If you just reach in to pet one most will run away. Just be patient and be persistent and move your hand slowly. They are naturally skittish so they will aways run when you try to pick them up. But once you have them comfortable, I wrapped mine in a towel, they seem to calm down and enjoy being petted and make little wrobbly noises. Their fun little creatures, and I've always had cuddly ones.
Piggies are prey to pretty much everything so they always will run when startled. They cant help it. But they can get used to you so that they wont scamper into a hiding place. When mine is startled he runs into his house and turns around ad sticks his head out.thats about as good as it gets with piggies. But if you move slowly and play with them a lot they will calm down considerably.
when i first got my guinea pig she was very skiddish. you have to train the piggy. all you have to do is hold the guinea pig. and keep giving "luvs". my guinea pig had to be held against my chest for maybe a minute before she would crawl up under my chin and let me pet her. now she goes right my shoulder and i can pet her and play with her. my cat gets jealous of her though while she is on my shoulder. my shoulder belongs to my cat. lol. once cavies become "tamed" they make such rewarding pets. good luck with ur cavy
The more you handle them the friendlier they are. Just like any other animal, if you are afraid they feel it, if you are calm
you have a more calming effect on them.
So, touch and hold them many times a day, making certain that you support the tail end in your hand when lifting.
Since they are pear shaped, the bulbous bottom is heavy and
the weight of it will rupture the diaphram and kill it.
Hope this helps.
http://www.normandyboxers.com
it really depends on personality. some will learn to trust you, others may never enjoy being picked up. give it some time. talk to him softly and bring a his favorite treat when you aproch him to let him know that you are a positive thing and you wont hurt him. good luck!
guinea pigs are prey animals in the wild, so their natural instinct is to run away and back to their hiding place when something big and un-piggy-like gets near them.
when did you get your piggy? depending on the pig, it may take a few months or so for the guinea pig to get totally used to you and trust you.
Whenever you first get a cavy (Guinea pig) he/she is going to be skittish. I know mine was. I got mine on July 30, 2007 %26 we constantly either have me, my boyfriend, or the dog running in %26 out of the room. Her cage sits right by the door so, she got use to it. Now when she comes out of her igloo %26 you go to pet her, she does run back in. It just takes them a little while.
Good-Luck!
Piggies usually may run away from humans when you try to get them out of their cage/hutch. After you take them out they might squirm a bit, expecially if they arent used to humans, but if they start to get used to humans they won't be as skittish an squirmy. They will just relax with you and stay their without trying to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment