Monday, May 24, 2010

Are rats able to eat red cherries?


Answers:
Yes, rats can eat cherries, just don't let them eat the pits as
fruit seeds, pits, and kernels have cyanide and/or arsenic in them. Be specifically careful with peach, apricot and cherry pits.
A note on feeding red foods, like cherries, to rats. Do not be alarmed when you see red stools or red stain on your rats' bedding. Many a rat-keeper has nearly fainted at the sight of what looks like blood, but it's not, It's just the stain of the cherry juice. Same thing happens when you feed your rats strawberries, raspberries, and cooked kidney beans.
spazrats
"my life has gone to the rats"
yes mine do well they eat cheeries but jst to make sure check it out on the net
Yes, they also eat: apples, peaches, tomatoes, carambolas, bananas, pineapples and mangos,blueberries, figs, grapes, strawberries, lichees, Surinam cherry, loquat, and dates.However, they cant digest fruit well, it is better to give them veggies instead. My rats enjoy them. If I give them any non-organic produce, I peel it after I wash it. They only get pieces of cherry, as I'm not sure whether the pits have any harmful alkaloids and Im pretty sure a rat could break into a cherry pit with no problem.

Hope I helped!!
Rodents can eat most types of fruit, but it is not the best for them. It is better to give them veggies instead. Even small bits of cooked meat once in a while is okay.
sure...in small amounts.
Our rats enjoy them. If I give them any non-organic produce, I peel it after I wash it. They only get pieces of cherry, as I'm not sure whether the pits have any harmful alkaloids or whatever %26 obviously a rat could break into a cherry pit with no problem.
YUP RATS CAN EAT CHERRIES OR ANY OTHER FRIUT
yes they can eat almost everything we can
Yes, I think, not wild ones though

Here is a partial list of things I know they will eat:
apples
apple tree bark
pears
pear tree bark
peaches
peppers
potatoes
tulip bulbs
tomatoes
lady's slipper roots
seeds of any kind...grass seed, pumpkin seeds etc.
oats
corn
wheat
black beans
white beans
navy beans
kidney beans
peas
bread
cookies (Oreos... if they can get them...)
olive oil
corn oil
walnuts
peanuts
almonds
macadamia nuts
chestnuts
macaroni (cooked or uncooked)
dog foods (a favorite because it is somewhat of an antidote to some mouse
poisons...BUT NOT FOR HUMANS!)
cat foods
I would write more but my brain is tired. Yes, everything is safe!
Hope I helped!!
Our rats have eaten just about everything -
eggs, bacon, canned peas, candy canes, cooked spagetti (favorite) and raw, carrots, ice cream, cookies, and potato chips.
Yup, just about everything.

2 comments:

  1. I put a watermelon end in a cage once. Not normal for them, but I had a large one and the humans in my house seemed to have their fill. I came back a few hrs later and saw what I thought was a bloodbath!! Then I saw the remaining melon end and almost cried!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can put whole pumpkins in the cage for Halloween and watch them chew in and eat the guts and seeds

      Delete