Monday, May 24, 2010

Are holland loap dwarf bunnies good pets?


Answers:
any rabbit makrs a good pet large or small. i breed mini lops, and they do make good pets. i also have breed dwarf lops and i do have one now. i have found they like lots of cuddles and like being brushed. but they can be bad tempered it you pick them up wrong or hurt them.
but saying that if you handle them right and give them lots of attention (which they love) you will be fine.
yes rabbits are good pets. please adopt one! they have dwarf bunnies needing homes at your local animal shelter..
try, www.petfinder.com
smaller rabbits are known to have tempermental problems but i think that holland lop dwarves are good pets.
I rescued exotics for several years. This included rabits, guinea pigs, Hedgehogs, lizards, snakes...
My take is, pets are only as good as their owner. Do some research first and talk to a Vet who specializes in the animal you are wanting to get. Make sure you have the financial resources to provide the proper diet, health maintenance, and habitat for the animal, and the time to nurture the type of behaviour you want. And any animal you buy, take it to a vet within 48 hours to ensure that the animal is healthy with no defects and that it has been treated well.
A Holland Lop was the first animal I purposly bought as a baby and took in for my own personal pet. I rescued many animals but I wanted a "Baby" that I nurtured and knew would live for several years. Holland Lops are very intellegent, think two year old (both good AND Bad). Mine was box-trained, and would climb up in bed with me. Got jealous when I got a new boyfriend, wound up being banned from my bedroom when he peed on my bed and shreded my blanket after the b/f stayed the night the first time. I wound up marrying the guy who my bunny played games with =)
Great pet - he fell ill when we moved, and died at 9 years old. Avg life span is supposedly 6 years, but I've heard of up to 14 when fixed, boxed train, and taken outside. I used to take my bunny to parks - he came when called (usually - again, think toddler). He hated the car ride, but I usually walked and he was fine.
I now have two children, two and infant, so have not tried to get another bunny as my two year old takes up any time my infant doesn't! But in a few years, I will definately get another one, possibly adopt one as I know there is a need for adoptive bunny-moms and I've been told older bunnies are easier to box train than young ones.
From what I have heard they are fantastic pets. My cavvy savvy vet sells them, she also sells the smallest breed available, netherland dwarf rabbits. Rabbits do not like to be held as much as guinea pigs do so keep that in mind. Remember, just like guinea pigs, you need a bigger cage when you get another rabbit.
My Aunt breeds Hollands. They're very sweet bunnies and very funny to watch. I'd definitely reccommend them.
I've got a mini lop and he is the sweetest and most gentle rabbit. He follows me and my dog around and loves to be petted. He is my first rabbit, but I'm happy with my decision to take him from a moving family. We are in the process of litter training.
I'm not trying to be meddlesome, but it seems like you have A LOT of pets. I mean, how can you pay proper attention to all of them?
my old dwarf was MEAN.. but thats because of the home she lived in before me.. she would growl and attack you.. she got better though.. she got to the point where she would let you pick her up and pet her.. give her a bath and play with her big boyfriend (didnt do anything) lol.
but before you get a rabbit check its old family history.. see what it has gone through so you know what your next 8 years is going to be like! thats how old she was when she passed away.. now her bf is depressed :[

No comments:

Post a Comment