Monday, May 24, 2010

Are pet rats nasty?

i want a rat but my husband says no they are dirty
Answers:
Pet rats are extremely intelligent, have super memories and are very loving and attached to their owners. They are also very social animals. Rats absolutely love water and they love taking little baths. They are very clean but they have a natural bodily scent. Rats are great as pets. By the way, which animal isn't dirty? Even a human baby is dirty because it's incapable of cleaning itself up. When you keep your rat and it's cage clean, then there's no problem.
No. They are ik cats. They clean them selves every - like - 2 minuts! There very clean but they are smelly.
I think they are and I have no idea why people would want a pet rat, but it is your personal decision
No! Rats are the most affectionate rodent pet, and certainly the most intelligent. They're the best!
They tend to be a bit smellier than hamsters, which don't smell at all really, but you just clean them out once a week and it's fine. They're not 'dirty' animals, they can even be litter trained.
Do plenty of research into rat care and then you'll have all the facts to support yourself.
Chalice
I have rats and i love them. In fact i like them better than dogs or cats. I get them when they're young and wash them in the sink and blow dry them ( cover their ears) i have a little bristle brush and i use that too. I place my rats in a big fish tank. A wheel , a tunnel and water bottle the top is a wire one. Because they'll eat a plastic one. I take it with me everywhere in the house. I take them outside in the yard in the summer cause they need sunlight too. Watch for hawks. I remember when my two heard the hawk they came running for mine and my husbands feet lol. The only time they bite is if they're starved and smell food on your fingers. Sometimes they like might pinch your finger with their teeth but their really checking your fingers plus they might lick them for salt. I love them and have had them for about 4 yrs. I only get females because i have young children. The males can get big and other parts of them do too. You wouldn't want to hurt their backside.
My sister used to have a couple, they are okay but they smell really bad! Get a male because both times my sister bought females like a week later they had about 5 babies each.
rats are very clean, nice, and very intelligent
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/careofrat...
this site has some great info on pet rats
Rats are some of the cleanest pets you can buy. As long as you keep their bedding fresh (don't use wood shavings, it is bad for them - try Carefresh paper bedding) they don't smell at all. They actually clean themselves dozens of times per day and are fastidious about keeping their fur clean. Not only that, but pet rats are adorable and loving and grow attached to their owners. I think your husband is confusing domesticated rats for wild rats, who can carry some diseases and infections. I whole-heartedly recommend a rat as a pet! Just be sure to buy them in same-sex pairs to keep them from getting bored and depressed.
Rats are NOT dirty! They are actually one of the cleanest rodents there is! They are far cleaner than my birds and even though I bath my dog, my rats are far cleaner by a long shot. They have almost no odour and as long as you keep their cage clean, they'll be one of the cleanest pets you could own.
Rats also have a great temperament. They are not "nasty" in any way, shape, or form. A well-bred rat can be your best friend and in some ways are even better than dogs.
Rats are just as intelligent as dogs are, and when it comes to some dogs, I think my rats are MORE intelligent! LOL! They can be trained to come when you call them, and can even do tricks. They learn their names and will react when you say it.
I think your husband simply doesn't like them for his own reasons. Remind him that you are NOT talking about getting a sewer or wild caught rat. You are interested in buying a domesticated well-bred rat from a professional breeder.
When I first met my husband, he saw my pet rats and was disgusted that I would keep rats inside the house when I have a 3 year old daughter. That was then. Now he absolutely adores them and sings their praises (sometimes literally) at work and to his buddies. His sons from a previous marriage each have their own rats at our home. They live with their mom during the week and stay with us on the weekends. My hubby has several rats of his own as well and quite proudly walks around carrying them and showing them off. His mom wasn't too impressed, but she's a wonderful and intelligent lady and while she isn't in favour of them for herself, she's certainly not opposed to her grandchildren having them. She even gives me "treats" to give to the rats! LOL!
I think if your husband actually lived with one, he'd come to love them as much as the rest of us rat-lovers do. Rats truly are one of the BEST pets for anyone.
Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment