Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About how much does it cost to make a cage for a guinea pig with the coroplast and cubes and all?

Petstore cages ARE like 'glorified litter boxes' so i want my piggie to get an upgrade and ive taken it upon myself to build him a cage for him and another female piggie- please state the estimate of how much it will cost to make a guinea pig cage including or not including toys, food bowls, etc.
Answers:
I made one for my chinchillas. I bought the cubes at good will for $5! The coroplast was only $7.99! I wired the cubes together with floral wire($1 at the dollar store!). The cubes at the stores here are $20, you may need 2 sets. So you can build a nice big one for under $50! I made jumping platforms out of extra fence boards that I had left over from building my fence. You can make cheep toys from sisal or hemp rope, wood bits, beads, bells ect. All those things are availiable at dollar stores!
Oh yea, you can get free coroplast from companies who use them as store signs. Just ask if you can have it after they are done with it!
Have you tried freecycle? Someone may have some to give away too!
Its really nice to hear that you want the best for your piggie(s).
I don't know what size your were planning on building, so I'll just have to give you *MY* costs. I have a 5' x 2' cage (10 square feet).
The Coroplast cost $20 for an 8'x4' sheet. I cut it myself, but sometimes the place you buy it from will cut it for you. It just depends on the company. The cubes from Target were $25.
The $45 may sound like alot, but if you go to Petno or Pestmart, you'll pay $50 for a 18" x 2' cage, which is horribly small. You'll find a C%26C cage so easy to clean %26 spacious for your piggie(s).
Best of luck!
Ps. Please tell me either your boar or sow are altered, right??
Hooray! Another guinea pig lover converted to the C%26C .. way to go!
Anyway, for my cage, which is a 2x4 we used one sheet of coroplast which cost us $20. We basically used the whole sheet, so it's a good investment. We bought one box of cubes from target, which were another $20.
It really depends on where you get your coroplast from, though. I've heard of people getting it from as low as $10 to $35. Most places do a standard $20. Some shops will try to sell it expensively because they think that you are advirtising. They just want their share of the profit. If it seems overly expensive, tell them that you're just making an enclosure and that you won't be advirtising.
You should think about joining the guinea pig cages forum. They have the BEST advice on there for building, and have some really cool ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment