Friday, July 31, 2009

Am I ruining my guinea pigs friendship?

I've had a guinea pig for about 4 months, when I decided to get another one. The one I got was 2 months old, and the other one I had was 7 months old. Besides the occasional teeth chattering, they got along GREAT! Then, one night when my friend came over, they starting nipping eachother during floortime! I know this is not serious, but they've never nipped eachother before. Everyday now, it seems like they start getting more and more aggresive towards eachother, but so far, none of them have drew blood. I'm just wondering if I'm the one who has to do with their friendship breaking up? I feel so sad that this is happening. Someone please give me a decent answer...
(And yes, I have read cavyspirit.com/sociallife)
Answers:
Ok, did you get two males, two females? A male and a female? I can't give you a straight foward answer, but i can push you in the right direction,
If you have two males or two females, then what is happening is that as the guinea pig gets older they tend to be more territoreal. Unless these guinea pigs were raised together from day one, they usually start to get aggressive towards one another,*even if they where raised together there still is that chance they will get aggressive* . You are probably gonna have to seperate them as they get older if this behavior doesn't stop. Try telling the guinea pigs NO as they nipp at each other, by lightly tapping on *BOTH* their noses and saying no.
If you have a male and female, then chances are that the male wants to make baby with his sexy female! lol. And even then u still have to seperate them.
Unfortunelty there isn't much you can do. As they get older the guineas will get more aggressive. so I would start searching for a new cage... Sorry sweety! But I hope this info helps you!
it's probably caused by territorial issues.You should probably keep them in separate cages.And no,your"re not messing up their friendship,your just being a good owner.
are they both males? they could be figuring out whos the doment one
I've had guinea pigs that got along great for awhile and then began fighting too. The one male started being very mean and aggressive to another male. I had to get rid of the mean male unfortunately. I have owned a fair amount of guinea pigs and have learned that they have very distinct personalities. Just like other animals, sometimes they just don't get along. The two females I have now were roomates at the pet store so I got them together because I already knew that they got along. Guinea pigs are meant to be in pairs, people who own only one are actually making it lonely and bored unless the pig gets a HUGE amount of human interaction everyday,so it is good that you got him/her a friend. Are both of your pigs the same sex? It is recommended that unless you are going to neuter your guinea pigs ( yes I've done it) that you get two of the same sex otherwise they can breed like crazy which can be very taxing on the female plus adds to pet overpopulation. If they continue to get more aggressive you may have to take one back to wherever you got it and try another pig. Nothing you did is making them fight. I hope your pigs get their act together and behave for you so you don't have to worry about this
No it is not your fault. They are obviosly fighting over domonency and territory. I'm sorry to say it but you'll probably need to get them seperate cages sooner or later (better sooner than later).
Don't worry but please do not seperate them unless blood is drawn. Every now and then the one who is not boss decides to challenge the boss, which in turn causes a scuffle. This will settle down.
Despite what people say... boars CAN live together. They can, and DO fight sometimes... but most will be alright. Judging by their ages.. I think one or both of your boys are going through puberty.
Keep them together.. watch them closely.. if any blood is drawn - then you can seperate!
I agree, unless there is bloodshed, do not seperate. Occasionally, pigs will need to re-establish dominance. And your pigs are in the puberty range, so that makes them even more testy. A bigger cage will probably help. Boars need even more than the recommended space.
If the worst happens and you do have to seperate, you can always put their cages side by side. This is what I have to do with my boys. Here is my cage. http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s241/... They share a wall, but have their own space. They still talk and lay beside one another at the divider. But there is no fighting or territory issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment