Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About how much?

about how much is a pet rat? it's cage? where can u find them?
Answers:
Keep in mind rats are incredibly social and need to be kept in at least pairs.
The rats themselves are no more than $10. Most "rat" cages at pet stores are too small, so if you want to purchase a cage from a store, your best bet is a ferret cage, and those can run up towards $200. I ordered my rat cage from http://www.martinscages.com/ and it was $104, with shipping, it was the perfect size for 2 rats and the cages are good quality.
The initial cost for me was probably around $175, after buying food, bedding, toys, etc. After that they are not terribly expensive, *however* - most rats will need to see a vet at least once in their life, some of them way more often and they have the potential to rack up large vet bills. Be prepared for that.
You can find rats at any pet store but I'd recommend looking around at your local shelters, or trying to find a breeder nearby.
well i am not sure about the cost but not that much! You can find them at Petco!
Lots of pet stores sell rats, they are inexpensive. The cage will probably cost about $60.00 for a nice big one.
Yes, rats are social animals and if you will not be able to spend A LOT of time with yours you will want to get two. And obviously two of the same sex. if you are looking for a companion where you will be spending all your time with him/her(like goes with you to work if allowed, sits with you at your computer etc), two may be too much. When I bred rats I had one that went everywhere with me. I worked at a pet store at the time which is where I got her and I was allowed to take her with me to work as long as I kept her in a cage when I wasn't actually working. They are very good pets and very smart animals. If you have the time they can be taught the same tricks as dogs. And in some cases can actually be smarter than dogs. But it just like with any other animal, it all depends on how much time you have to spend with them. If you are just starting out, you might be able to get a cage from someone off of your local craigslist site or your local www.freecycle.org site. They are sites where you get stuff for cheaper or even free.
Check Petfinder.com or your local Craigslist for rats needing a home.
rats range from 10 to 15 dollars, but they are freindly and social animals and usually prefer to live in pairs. however, most rat cages are to small to house a fully grown rat, so u can get a ferret cage at like petsmart or petco and they usually cost around 150 dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment