Friday, July 31, 2009

Another question regarding the downsizing of my rat's cage?

I found a wide guinea pig/rabbit cage (one I asked earlier about housing guinea pigs in).
My rat is 4 pushing 5 years old, and I want to downsize her cage due to the hazards her nice and spaceous home now has. She's not walking a whole lot. She'll go to the bottom when she's hungry, and to the top to sleep in her hidey-house and her hamick. I know she's getting old, so it's getting harder for her to move around, so I want to make it easier for her to move around by downsizing her 4-story cage into a 1 story cage. I found a nice guinea pig and rabbit cage, and it offers her a bunch of room to run, sleep and play.
I'm not sure if the cage bars are to wide, I don't want her escaping and hurting herself,I love her too much. I'm thiking about purchasing the medium sized one, becuase eventually I'll use it again. (I always use my cages again)
To you do the bars look to far apart? Sugar won't go as far as squeezing herself through bars, she prefers tricking me to escape.LINK BELOW
Answers:
The rule to follow for rats and mice squeezing through a space is the size of their head. If they can fit their head through, they can flatten their bodies and escape. I found out the hard way that ferret cages will not contain rats.
Have you considered an aquarium? No bars to get caught on or rip claws on and they're a very safe environment, especially for an older rat. You can get a screen cover for the top of it.
well first of all u have a rat ewww no im jp well when u have a rat near 4 or 5 they get older and tired and dont wont to do the things they used to do
I think you'll probably be okay with that. If you got it and she can squeeze through, then you could always buy some wire mesh to cover the bars with so she can't get out.
It's hard to say though because it mostly depends on how big she is, I used to have 2 males who never would have been able to fit through that, but I know females are generally a little more slender.
i think that would be okay for an older rat to be in as long as she has some room to move aroud and exercise in. the bigger the better for her though.
You should probley get a smaller cage.
It really depends on the size of your little rat. I have 2 males that I recently moved into a rabbit cage with spacing about the same as the cage in that link. I have fat boys though, and theres no way they could squeeze through those bars. Is she small? If so, she very well could fit through those spaces. If not then it should be alright, but a female could fit through much easier than a male, since females are generally smaller. But seeings as she's so old, and slowing down a bit, I doubt very much that she'd try to make an escape, but you never can be too careful. If you decide to try it, just keep a a close eye on her for a while to make sure she doesnt try to squeeze through the bars. I'd suggest putting her cage on the floor for a while, and blocking off anything she could squeeze behind and get lost, just incase she DOES get out. (you dont want her toppling off your dresser, or getting stuck behind a desk or your bed).
Ive put female rats in cages with spacing like that before..my girls were normal sized and never got out. My friend put her rat in a cage with spacing like that..her rat was younger, and on the petite side, and got out on a daily basis. (lucky for her though, her rat would just climb to the top of the cage and wait to be found). So, it really depends on the size of your rat. Also, like I said, the older my rats get, the less hell-bent they are on trying to escape.
the cage on the link is very nice and no the bars seen to little for it to get though and well it nice of you for what you are doing and since it is old it will have every thing it needs in one floor

No comments:

Post a Comment