Friday, July 31, 2009

Any hamster experts here? PLEASE HELP ME!?

I need extreme help for my hamster. His name is Coco, and he's about 2 years old. His eyes look swollen, and have crust buildup around them all the time. I usually take a little bit of toilet paper, wet it, and rub his eyes with it. But now, I just looked at him a few minutes ago and his eyes are really swollen and are closed and look as though they have rashes around his eyes. He hides in corners, and looks like he has trouble moving at times, like his legs are weak. My parents (suck, they are total jerks) and said they're not taking my hamster to the vet because they said "last time we took a hamster to the vet it costs so and so." I really do want to take him to the vet but my parents won't let me. They said since hamsters live shortly, they shouldn't spend all this money on my hamster. I really don't know what to do, because it hurts me to see my hamster like this and since my parents are such jerks they can't even help him. Can someone PLEASE give me tips to help my hamster?
Answers:
I think it is better for you to use saline water and drop it into its eye. try not to use tissue paper to touch its eye.
Good Luck :)
Sabby
Change his litter. It sounds like he is having an alergic reaction to it. Do you have the cedar chips? Those are rough on little critters.
There's a product made with recycled paper that comes in pellets. See if you can find that. If you can't, then use plain clean sand, like the kind you get for kids to play in. It's not as absorbent, but it will be easier on his little face. You'll just have to clean the cage more often.
Good Luck!
C
make sure u gave him a safe home to live.. free from dangers and injuries... monitor it for a few more days.. if it get worse, u got to bring to a vet
My hamster once like that too, What I did is: I take a cotton bud stick, make it wet with clean water, clean the area around his eyes. Then after really wet you can open his eyes. Dont put back to the cage, or he gonna sleep again in the corner and crusting on the eyes. CLEAN THE CAGE, he is weak because he doesnt want to eat ( that my case) give him a favorite food a healthy one, vitamin-buy from pet-store, toys and let him play around your room/ open space a little bit. Your hamster is on deppresion, I think..his legs weak, maybe due to broken leg. Have it ever fall?
Give him love a lot of looovveee
Ok, I throw all my knowledge here, I hope your hamster ok, then...
the paper pellets that had been previosly mentioned is what i use for my cats kitty littler . works welll and i see them use it all the tim in the pet store ... its called yesterday's news... There probably is other stuff too but its all the same anyway
Oh and i buy it at wal-mar . might find it there
All i can say is to trade his bedding out for paper towels, and to research all that you can on search engines.
From my knowledge of having 5 hamsters in my house I would say your hamster is either allergic to its bedding or it has some sort of eye infection or if its very old it may be getting weaker. I would suggest you take it to the vets but seeming as your parents wont let you then try and get up a hamster website with illnesses on and treatments.
I live in the uk, dont know about you. I had a problem with one of my hamsters and it cost 拢7 to have her put to sleep so thats no more than like $15
If he gets any worst then you must take him to the vets, try anything to convice your parents
Take Your Hamster out of the cage and throughly clean it with some sort of mild soap solution or lemon juice/ vinegar/and some water. Than just put some klenx or other tissue in the bottom but not newspaper. if this still persists , you reallly should get him to a vet, if you can make a deal with you parents, split the blll 50/50 do more chore stuff like that .
I hate to say this but this is what happened to hamster when he died. His eyes were swollen and runny and he could barely walk. The best thing we could've done for him was keep him warm and make him comfortable. The vet is the best thing for him but I understand you're unable to get there. If you are able to leave your hamster for a little while, run to the pet store and get eye drops and change his bedding. The bedding could be irritating his eyes because it's not clean or if he's had an allergic reaction to the chips. If you are using cedar, please buy new bedding. The best kind is aspen. I hope your little friend feels better, good luck.
it might just have a cold :) clean his eyes and the the cage and give it alot of fluffy bedding in its favourite sleeping place feed it some fruit n veg ( but not citric fruit) and leave him to sleep and see if he gets better :)
goodluck
get some anti bacterial creme (not hand sanitizer) and just put a tiny bit on his eyes, make sure he's drinking plenty and eating right, put his food and water near him in his cage and his hamster wheel too. he needs exercise, also try going to the pet store and get some eye drops and maybe ask the workers about it, change his bedding to aspen or white paper (shredded)
use super shavin's bedding, and you may need a trip to thevet, they will accept payments.

No comments:

Post a Comment