Friday, July 31, 2009

Ants are coming into my hamsters cage, HELP!?

Is there a possible way for ants to keep away from my hamster? I don't want to spray the place with the ant thing. Any suggestions, I need to know what to do ASAP.
I don't want to keep cleaning the cage, since that'll be a complete waste of bedding. I need A LOT of possible suggestions.
Answers:
find a way to hang the cage or move it somewhere the ants aren't gonna find it quickly, usually a hall or bedroom-nowhere near the kitchen or bathroom cause they need water too. Get rid of whatever food the ants are after. they make stuff for hamsters with honey in it...not a good idea for the summer monthes, stick to bland foods and make sure the hamster is kept clean as well as the cage. If it continues regardless of where the cage is, this is gonna sound gross and I'm sorry but have your hamster checked out by a doctor to make sure it's not the hamster himself they are after or living in. My first hamster didn't have ants inside him but roaches and the doctor told me when they put him down it's rare but it can happen with lots of insects.
do not use boric acid around a hamster cage you could accidently poison your hamster.-happened to our cat when we tried to get rid of the roaches.
clean the cage thoroughly and regularly. Spread boric acid around and in front of any possible ant entry-ways
Be sure to remove uneaten fruit or veggies about half an hour after you put them in. Otherwise, they will attract ants. Cedar chips as opposed to pine are also supposed to keep insects away.
I think putting hamster food outside the cage will attract more ants. Now, this sounds very stupid BUT I've heard it actually works. Get a piece of regular chalk like from a black board. Draw a line around the cage. If you can't...put the cage on a piece of material or on sheets of construction paper and draw the chalk line on that. Ants SUPPOSEDLY won't cross the chalk line.
It would be interesting to know if that really works.
Clean your hamster cage regularly. Are you feeding it live foods? Is he eating them? Are there any leftover fruits that are uneaten? Remove them.
awe get that poor wee hamster out of there,maybe the ants are in the bedding that you bought and you havent realised it.
move it somewhere else
Okay...First off, switch to recycled paper bedding. When I had an Ant problem with my Gerbils way back, I did so, and they hated it, for some reason. Secondly.If you spread a thin line of -cinnamon- around the border of the hamster cage, the ants won't cross it. We put some in front of our house's doors every spring ^^' .
Good Luck!
PS- IF they're coming into your cage, they must be coming from inside your house, somewhere! Find their trail and ant-trap their little butts.
1st thoroughly clean the cage then do the chalk around the outside of the cage, it's a trick we've used camping.
Stay away from cedar shavings in the cage as they can cause respiratory problem for the little guys.
You do need to find the source where they are coming in a put baby oil %26 the ants won't come marching in anymore.
...and there are always ant stakes.
Having ants really stinks. I've had ants on and off in my apartment, but managed to get rid of them before they got to my rodent's cages.
I also had a very dirty roommate in college who attracted ants(and mice).
While with the dirty roommate, we got rid of ants by sprinkling cinnamon around things we didn't want ants in, like the refridgerator.
The ants in my apartment were taken care of by placing baited ant traps near where they were getting in. The ants in my apartment were strange, because 1)They all came in during thunderstorms or heavy rain, and 2)While my kitchen and pantry are full of food, they preferred by bathroom, which has... toilet paper, and soap.
Another thing I tried was feeding an ant to my betta fish. He gobbled it up(this was before I got the poison traps, I wouldn't think of giving my fish a poisoned ant)
Clean the cage then don't spray on the cage but around the cage. If this doesn't stop call animal control and ask them to get rid of the ants.

1 comment:

  1. Is there a possible way for ants to keep away from my hamster? I don't want to spray the place with the ant thing. Any suggestions, I need to ... hamsterscages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete