Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About how much money is it to get a checkup for a hamster?

I need to get my hamster,Amy,checked by a vet because my other hamster had a disease and I don't want her to get sick.
Answers:
Call around to a few vets to see which ones take small animals, not all do. Get their prices for this and talk to some clients about the vet and what they like about them. One way is to go to the different vets taking small animals and speak directly to the staff and clients about the vet. I lucky, my vet doesn't charge me for an office visit unless they are there for a well check up, then it's about $20-$25 depending on the animal.
By the way, what disease did your other hamster have? I've dealt with Cushing's disease, cancer, mange, and fighting injuries with mine. I have both Syrians (large breed) and dwarfs. I spend an average of $14 to $53 depending on the small animal and the medication(s) needed for one and at times taken in 2 or 3 at a time.
When I went to my vet to get her checked, I'm looking at the paper right now and it says "Physical Exam: Rabbits/Rodents - $2.50" and "Office Visit: First Pet - $27.75". Pretty expensive for a hamster, plus we had to put her to sleep and that was more. But it will depend on the place, some are different than others.
To get the hamster checked by a vet, is probably the same as when you make an appointment for cat/dog. The vets charge one set fee - and then go from there. So, call a vet nearest you and asked how much they would charge for someone to see your pet hamster!!
There is usually a set examination charge, weather for dog, cat or hamster. However it depends on the vet. You could call around and ask how much the exam fee is.
The price would be the exam fee + any medication + waste disposal charge + anything else that has to be done. For a routine check up I have never spent more than 70 dollars, and that was at the most, I have spent anywhere from 25 on up.
It's very expensive, especially if you are going to just get a simple "check up" if nothing is wrong with it, i wouldnt take it. if you absolutely insist though...I once paid 80 dollars to get mine in and checked out, the price also included some medicine.
It doesnt usually matter what the animal is, vets typically have a base amount for an appointment and then depending on what needs to be done it will go up from there. Good luck
Well first of all I'd call to check if they treat hamsters in your local vets. Apparently hamsters are labeled as 'exotic' in most areas. It took like 15 trys untill I got my vet for my Syrian, Rosh.
When I went I got pretty much a routine check up for a hammy. I thought he had wettail for a short minute but he didnt. I still went anyway bc he was sneezing and wasnt in his wheel as much.
Any way I went, got him looked at and found out what was wrong(stuffed up nose, sick) and the whole thing all together was about $37 or $38(but we got medication for it so it might be more or less depending on what happens). I know that might seem high for somthing so small but my hamster is very dear to me and I think that it will all be worth it in the end.
[x]melanieinuyasha

No comments:

Post a Comment