Friday, July 31, 2009

ANOTHER rat question! Several tonight, huh?

This is my third one tonight. Today I went to different pet store, twice!! This store cared for and loved the rats. Any way, I slowly put my hand in with the rats and two of them (one full grown tan and white, one black and white, not as old) and they sat up on thier hind legs and smelled all the way up to the top of were my arm came into the cage. I know that these are good signs of handling and personality, but they would put there mouths around me. Kind of like a bite. They would start to bite down and i would flinch away, and they would flinch, but i would stick my hand in again, and they would do it again! Is that okay in finding a good rat, and will a rat stop that once I take it home?
Answers:
They are curious in you and that is the first sign of acceptance. Whether or not you had food on your hands they are still accepting you. I frightened rat, or one that is afraid of a person's hand because it was harrassed, or not handled enough, would not even approach you for food if that's what it thought you had. I would be very concerned if they were racing around the cage in a panic to get away from you.
Rats are oral creatures and what they are doing is exploring your hand, and grooming you. This is acceptance behavior. The problem is, they haven't been handled a lot by the store employees and therefore they have not learned to nibble softly.
You can teach your rats to groom you more gently by letting out a shriek, an "eek!", when they put their mouth on your finger. This is rat-speak for, "Ouch, you are biting too hard". Rats have very sharp teeth and by flinching away you can still get an unintentionally cut.
How rats groom:
http://www.ratbehavior.org/glossary.htm#...
http://www.ratbehavior.org/glossary.htm#...
Just be slow and gentle for the first few days when you get them home. Let them get use to their new home and settle in before you start handling them, otherwise they may just nip out fear. The first time you back off quickly, they will have you pegged.
spazrats
"my life has gone to the rats"
Well, that makes me think that perhaps your hand smelled like food of some kind.. since their sense of smell is sharper than ours.. but it's also a "grooming" sign as well..
They think they're getting fed. My guess is that the store included a lot of bribes/treats when they hanled them. As long as they aren't too old I'm sure you can break them of the habit, and even still, rats are smart and I'm sure if you keep treats and handling independant they'll catch on.
Well treated rats are hard to come by. If I were you, I'd get them.
Aditional Info: I agree with what is above, you could have just smelled tasty. Wash your hands well, then try again.
regardless of how much the store loved rats, i'm sure they aren't handled everyday like they should be. the rats are probably curious since they probably don't get a lot of contact with humans. it was more of a curious bite on their parts, not meant to hurt, cause if they wanted to, they would have. curiosity is always a good thing in rats. i think that maybe you've found yourself a good pair.
my rats did the same thing (they were a lot younger and sisters) but they did eventually stop that behavior altogether.
one was more temperamental then the other but still liked play time. the other girl is my absolute baby! so lovey and follows me everywhere. she's like a mini lab she's so faithful to me.
rats all have their different personalities and accept it for what it is.
i think that you might have some good future rats on your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment