Wednesday, July 29, 2009

About Gerbils?

I got 2 new ones, theyre like 4 months old, brothers, i have tried of everything, you know putting my hand in their tank, giving them food from my hand and they just dont get used to me :S How long did yours take to get used to you? are mine to old to get used? I bought them in a pet store and they say thats usually a bad sign
Answers:
You can bond with them just fine even if you got them from a pet store. I adopted my gerbil who had been abused by her previous owners and she was very skiddish and nervous when I first got her. One thing that helped me a lot was that I put on an old, oversized hoodie and let her climb all over me. She usually ends up in my hood and rides around with me while I go about my daily business. It's something new to try anyway. Be patient. They will come around if you are persistant.
OK well first you gerbils are not to young and not to old for you to get used to. it just takes time, for me it took 2 weeks. so just play with and talk to so they get used to your voice try this and they'll be your best friends. i got mine in a pet store and thier just fine.
If they wont eat from your hand, they haven't reconized your scent yet. When I got my 2 female gerbils they didnt eat from my hand. But you should give them about a week or 2 just to reconize your scent. Don't worry, it is perfectly normal!!
Also, gerbils dont usually bite. but i have 2 gerbils and the oldest one never bites me but at times the youngest one does. if one of your gerbils bite you don't worry about that eather. they are just wanting to sharpen thier teeth. it doesnt hurt if they are young (and 4 months is young because they live up to 5 yrs)
Have fun with your gerbils!!

No comments:

Post a Comment